(07-25-2015 Dacono Colorado) – Dominic Ursetta picked up his 6th win of the season outlasting Bruce Yackey who didn’t make things easy on Ursetta in the Gillet Vet Clinic Super Late Model feature event. Jace Hansen ran a marvelous race winning the South Philly Cheese Steaks Late Model feature while Brett Yackey and Will Alvarado won their respective divisions in the combined Super Stock and Pure Stock feature event. Big Al Duran picked up his first Figure 8 win of the season and Kyle Clegg led all 20 laps in the Legends main event.
Gillett Vet Clinic Super Late Models
17 Super Late Models started the 40 lap feature with rookie driver #58 Kyle ray on the pole along side #39 Jack Nugent. While Ray did get to lead early it was short-lived as both #6 Dominic Ursetta and #12 Bruce “the moose” Yackey took over the top two spots. With Yackey out front it would be a challenge for Ursetta to get by as “the Moose” knows how to maintain a lead. Yet Ursetta hounded Bruce driving with the nose of his car literally on the #12’s bumper yet without making contact. The two drivers dueled this way for several laps until Ursetta made his move and snuck down under Yackey to take the lead.
Behind the leaders another great race was heating up between pole-sitter Ray, #11 Darren Robertson and #31 Rick Smith. After a double-file restart Robertson was able to clear Ray and joined Ursetta and Yackey in the fight for the lead.
Bad luck for Smith later in the race he lost his right front tire and sent off a shower of sparks that lit up the night sky at CNS.
In the final laps Ursetta was able to distance himself from Yackey by about 5 car lengths and go on to his 6th feature win of the season in the Super Late Model division. Yackey took 2nd while Nugent made a late race surge finishing 3rd. Robertson came across the line 4th and #08 Jace Hansen (doing double duty) was the final finisher in the top 5.
The Super Late Models will return to CNS on Saturday August 8th.
FEATURE WINNER: #6 Dominic Ursetta
FAST DASH: #6 Dominic Ursetta
DASH: #17 Paul Deines
QUICK TIME: #12 Bruce Yackey 16.377
South Philly Cheese Steaks Late Models
In an epic race for the ages #08 Jace Hansen and #8 Jeff Walbaum battled the entire feature in the South Philly Cheese Steaks main event trading the lead multiple times throughout the race. At different points in the race it would appear that one or the other of the two drivers had finally taken control but then the other would coming storming back to retake the lead. Hansen seemed to be able to sneak by Walbaum on the low side while Walbaum was running strong a bit higher on the track.
As the race wore down it looked as if Walbaum had finally shaken Hansen but sure enough Hansen came right back and passed Walbaum for the lead and ultimately the checkered flag. This was Hansen’s first win in the Late Models this season.
On the final lap Walbaum’s car sputtered and he could only limp across the line settling for a disappointing 5th place finish.
#42 Mark Neff inherited 2nd place and #32 Brett Yackey was 3rd. #3 Wade Grove ran a steady race finishing 4th just ahead of Walbaum.
The Late Models return to action at CNS on Saturday August 1st.
FEATURE WINNER: #08 Jace Hansen
FAST DASH: #32 Brett Yackey
DASH: #7 Ethan Penrod
QUICK TIME: #42 Mark Neff 17.882
Great Scott’s Eatery Super Stocks and Lincoln Tech Pure Stocks
What do you get when you combine the entire field of Super Stocks and the entire field of Pure stocks and let them race together in the feature event?? A wild and exiting race with action all over the speedway!! 32 cars rumbled to the green flag at the start of the combined Great Scott’s Eatery Super Stock and Lincoln Tech Pure Stock feature.
The Super Stocks who started up front were scrambling in a mad dash to get out into the lead and avoid heavy traffic but in doing so brought out several caution flags early on the race. #18 Robert Davey and #10t Stephanie Brown battled for the lead early but it was the familiar #3 of Michael Cox who asserted himself into the lead position with #9 Curtis Hildenbrand along side after just a few laps.
The Pure Stocks were making their presence felt as well as #3% Will Alvarado was running 6th overall which put him up front with the fastest Super Stock cars.
There was literally action on every square foot of the speedway as the massive CNS crowd was on their feet loving every second of the action.
In the final stages #32 Brett “the Maverick” Yackey and #75 rookie driver Levi Greenly muscled their way to the front and began to navigate the dense lapped traffic.
Yackey held on for the win with Greenly close behind. Cox settled for 3rd spot and #89 Chuck Kilpatrick was 4th. Finishing 5th was Alvarado who was also awarded the win as the top finishing Pure Stock car. The next best finishing Pure Stock was John Ebel in the #63 car and #84m Joe Mares Jr.
The Super Stocks return to CNS on Saturday August 15th and the Pure Stocks race again on the 8th of August.
FEATURE WINNER: #32 Brett Yackey
FAST DASH: #32 Brett Yackey
QUICK TIME: #32 Brett Yackey 19.772
FEATURE WINNER: #3% Will Alvarado
FAST DASH: #3% Will Alvarado
QUICK TIME: #43 Kody Vanderwal 20.203
How did Kyle Clegg’s night go in the #66 legend car you ask? How does Quick time, a win in the fast dash, and to cap it off a flag to flag win in the feature! Clegg was on his game in the Great Scott’s Eatery “All American Race” and performed the rare clean sweep of the event.
Even with Danny Medina in the speedy #15 on his tail Clegg never bobbled or faltered and won the feature in dominate fashion.
The Legend feature went green from flag to flag which was impressive considering how many cars were on the track for the feature. The Legends return to CNS next Saturday night August 1st.
FEATURE WINNER: #66 Kyle Clegg
FAST DASH: #66 Kyle Clegg
DASH: #2 Brent Cave
QUICK TIME: #66 Kyle Clegg 18.741
Art’s Septic Figure 8s
So far in 2015 #15 Jereme Wall has not lost a feature event in the Art’s Septic Service Figure 8 division and on this night it looked like he might snag another win as he jumped out to an early lead. #2 Lance Proctor was dialed in and was battling Wall for the lead thrilling the fans as they navigated close calls in the X.
With Wall still leading #69 Tammy Totos spun in the X just as the leaders were approaching. Jereme had to make a drastic move to miss the spinning Totos but in doing so he relinquished the lead to Proctor.
Proctor’s fate would also hinge on the #69 car as just a couple laps later he became trapped behind her entering turn 3 and subsequently gave up the lead to #23 “Big” Al Duran.
Duran maintained a fairly comfortable lead until the final lap on the final corner as Proctor came “barn-storming” up on Duran’s outside in a desperate attempt to win the race. However Duran held him off but just by inches as the two cars came barreling over the finish line in what was a highly entertaining race.
The Figure 8s return to CNS on Saturday August 8th.
FEATURE WINNER: #23 Al Duran
FAST DASH: #23 Al Duran
DASH: #10 Frank Gastineau
Super Late Models
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 6 Dominic Ursetta Arvada
2. 12 Bruce Yackey Greeley
3. 39 Jack Nugent Lafayette
4. 11 Darren Robertson Westminster
5. 8 Jace Hansen Broomfield
6. 84 Matt Zwingleberg Parker
7. 17 Paul Deines Frederick
8. 34 Rudy Vanderwal La Salle
9. 58 Kyle Ray(R) Littleton
10. 80 Ray Daniels Monument
11. 91 Chris Atkinson Cheyenne
12. 29 Matt Brunker(R) Lakewood
13. 25 Monty Skinner Black Hawk
14. 33 Emett Grazier Wheatridge
15. 31 Rick Smith Gering
16. 4 Bradley Tilton Cheyenne
17. 27 Roger Avants Littleton
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 8 Jace Hansen Broomfield
2. 42 Mark Neff Westiminster
3. 32 Brett Yackey (R) Greeley
4. 3 Wade Grove Thronton
5. 8 Jeff Walbaum Brighton
6. 5w Troy Witthar Eastlake
7. 16 Ryan McFadden Divide
8. 1 Tommy Powers Castle Rock
9. 30 Jan Oxley Ft Lupton
10. 29 Rayshawn Carter Commerce City
11. 27 Wendi Lewis Johnstown
12. 28 Alan Carter Commerce City
13. 7 Ethan Penrod Thornton
14. 31 Derek Smith Gering
Super Stock/Pure Stock
Pos No. Name Hometown Class
1. 32 Brett Yackey Greeley Super Stock
2. 75 Levi Greenly(R) Kersey Super Stock
3. 3 Michael Cox Englewood Super Stock
4. 89b Jeremy Barclay Thornton Super Stock
5. 3% Will Alvarado Ft Lupton Pure Stock
6. 18 Robert Davey Aurora Super Stock
7. 90 Kyle Patee Thornton Super Stock
8. 10t Stephanie Brown (R) Littleton Super Stock
9. 57x Bubba Willox Wellington Super Stock
10. 63 John Ebel Littleton Pure Stock
11. 30 Jared Keener Westminster Super Stock
12. 84M Joseph Mares Jr Aurora Pure Stock
13. 57 Dylan Binford Lakewood Super Stock
14. 74 Lindy Pinelli Dacono Pure Stock
15. 126 Josh Friberg(R) Westminster Pure Stock
16. 51 Jax Hughes (R) Lakewood Super Stock
17. 02ss Sean Smith Greeley Pure Stock
18. 56 Eric Pierce Mead Super Stock
19. 21 Jamie Ward Denver Pure Stock
20. 26 Taylor Dragoon(R) Aurora Super Stock
21. 2 Chandani Raley Thornton Pure Stock
22. 39 Karla Nugent Lafayette Pure Stock
23. 9 Curtis Heldenbrand Arvada Super Stock
24. 22 Justin Upmeyer (R) Evans Super Stock
25. 43 Kody Vanderwal LaSalle Pure Stock
26. 60 Riley Pierce Platteville Super Stock
27. 84 Joe Mares Aurora Pure Stock
28. 31 Mike Mathiesen Dacono Pure Stock
29. 02D Darrell Smith Littleton Super Stock
30. 20 David Schmidt Westminster Super Stock
31. 68 Matt Sowash Wheatridge Pure Stock
DNS 96R Rhonda Miller(R) Severance Pure Stock
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 66 Kyle Clegg Westminster
2. 15 Danny Medina Colorado Springs
3. 22 Christopher Eggleston Thornton
4. 21 Ryan Jones Arvada
5. 6 Mike Gallegos Aurora
6. 6 Scotty Scott Arvada
7. 30 Darrell J Stewart Arvada
8. 25 Adam Pechman Morrison
9. 1w Jereme Wall Commerce City
10. 20 Kynzer Riddell Westminster
11. 3 Darrell L Stewart Arvada
12. 19 Larry Pachello Arvada
13. 23 Austyn Radosta (R) Pueblo
14. 7 Corey Seip Littleton
15. 2 Brent Cave Thornton
16. 26 Christopher Brunker Lakewood
17. 16 Travis Roe (R) Thronton
18. 46 Zachary Witherwax Arvada
19. 53 Luke Johnson (R) Ft Lupton
20. 83 Donald Bedore Denver
21. 11 Jessica Savage Aurora
22. 77 Josiah King (R) Brighton
23. 41 Gregory Lee Parker
24. 47 Jason Hulvey Thornton
Pos No. Name Hometown
1. 23 Al Duran Lakewood
2. 2 Lance Proctor Arvada
3. 15 Jereme Wall Commerce City
4. 52 Jared Wall Commerce City
5. 50 Justin McKeachie Aurora
6. 87 Bill Farris Englewood
7. 10 Frank Gastineau Denver
8. 1 Michael Haywood (R) Greeley
9. 27 Bobby Zike Morrison
10. 66 John Martello Denver
11. 11 Joe Gastineau Denver
12. 69 Tammy Totos Commerce City
13. 25 Phil Taylor Henderson
DNS 81 David Smith Englewood