Greetings race fans! Can you believe that another season of short track action is less than two months away? Here at Colorado National Speedway, we are really excited for 2018 and can’t wait to get going. There truly is a buzz around racing here in Colorado, and any of you who were lucky enough to attend the Battle of the Fenders Winter Enduro this past January saw firsthand just how much passion there is for auto racing here in the Rocky Mountains. The car count was pretty good for the first time (in a while) with 38 starters comprised of F8, Demo-X, Pure Stock, Super Stock, and traditional Enduros from 3 different states and 5 different tracks! We couldn’t believe it when the crowd surpassed 1,000 guests. We know that concessions line got too long, and we’ll make sure to have that dialed in for round two next year. Congratulations to Brian Yackey for his $1,500 win, kudos to the 12 who finished, and thanks to everyone who came out that day!
II. Practice coming up
Although the snow has finally started to fall here at the Speedway (one inch here and one inch there… pretty lame!), we are gearing up for Hot Laps Practice sessions coming up here in March. Here is the schedule for Practice this spring:
- Saturday, March 17th from 11am to 5pm
- Saturday, March 24th from 11am to 5pm
- Saturday, March 31st from 11am to 5pm or so
CNS Tech Officials will be on hand to examine race cars and get them certified for 2018, and CNS Registration will be available every practice as well. Racers – don’t forget that the last practice will also feature the Racer’s Appreciation Party beginning at 3:30pm! We will serve free food and drink plus music and prize giveaways are our way of saying thanks for all of your hard work getting ready for 2018.
III. Trade show
January 19th and 20th marked the 30th Annual Circle Track and High Performance Trade show at the Boulder County Fairgrounds. Registrations were up for CNS, and we were surprised to see many new faces – and a few returning after a couple of years off! There is a lot of excitement around the Mod Coupes this year, and we are really looking forward to seeing that class grow in 2018.
For those of you who weren’t able to attend the Trade Show to register your race car for 2018, no worries! We will host registrations again at every Hot Laps Practice in March, and again at the first three races of the season. If you are planning to register the same car number (in the same division) as you did in 2017, we will reserve that number until the division has raced one feature race, and then it’s available to anyone. Registration forms are also available on our website – coloradospeedway.com – under the TECH tab. Help us speed up the process and have them filled out when you come in.
Many have inquired about reserved pit stalls. Just like registration of car numbers, we will hold your reserved stall for one race, and if it has not been claimed, we will make it available through a lottery to be held in mid-March. If you are wanting a reserved spot for 2018 and did not previously have one, be sure to enter your name into the lottery drawing by filling out a form at the registration table.
IV. New class: Bandoleros
If you’ve been hibernating all winter and haven’t heard, CNS is happy to announce that the Bandoleros will be joining the lineup in 2018! What is a Bandolero? No, it’s not a bad Will Ferrell western… Bandoleros are a tiny race car designed for 8-15 year olds. They feature 30hp motors, full roll cages, and are built with driver safety in mind. A Bandolero is a fantastic way for young aspiring racers to gain experience and build confidence while navigating a challenging course here at CNS. There are two levels of Bandoleros – “Bandits” are for younger drivers who are new to racing, and the “Outlaws” will help the older drivers refine their skills. The Bandoleros will be racing alongside the other feature divisions at CNS this summer, so be sure to come out and see these little demons in action!
For more information on Bandoleros, visit this site or this site.
V. Welcome New Sponsors
Colorado National Speedway is proud to announce a couple of our new Sponsors for 2018!
- BOCO Jerky is a Native Colorado Beef Jerky company located just down the street in Louisville. We are proud to have started serving their products at our concessions stands last summer, and are pleased they will be back for 2018. Look for their brand at CNS this summer, and be sure to try the Mountain Mild and Black Pepper flavors – they’re sensational! Visit bocojerky.com for more info!
- Mountain States Fire Protection is a Family owned and operated company out of Denver that specializes in fire prevention and suppression. Their dedication to defeating fire dangers in both residential and commercial buildings is unsurpassed, and for 2018, they bring their enthusiasm to CNS as the official sponsor of the Mod Coupes! We are proud to have them on board, and you can learn more about their services by looking them up on Facebook!
- Elite V-Twin joins CNS for 2018 as the official sponsor of the Legends Division! Elite V-Twin is an independent motorcycle repair shop located in Longmont, specializing in Harley Davidson Motorcycles. In addition to service and repair, Elite V-Twin also specializes in performance enhancement for your bike! Be sure to visit them in person and on the web at elitevtwin.com!
VI. Race news: King of the Wing 2-day Special Event
Back by popular demand for 2018 will be the King of the Wing Sprint Car Series! Because the 4th of July falls on a Wednesday this year, CNS decided to make it a week-long party instead of a mid-week bash. So, for June 30th, CNS and Noble Energy are going to throw a 4th of July in June party with a big Saturday race to kick things off, and then for Friday (yes – Friday!) July 6th and Saturday, July 7th, our friends at High Country Harley Davidson and Galitz Transportation are bringing you a two day spectacular event featuring back-to-back King of the Wing races! We’ll also run a bunch of cool divisions, circle drags, and fireworks to ensure that the seven day party closes in style. Hope to see you all there!
VII. Conclusion – see ya in March!
That’s gonna do it for this edition of CNS Short Track News. We hope this email finds you well, and that you’re as eager to kick off this season as we are! Stay safe out there!
S/ CNS Management